Take a look back at our story...
Introducing Peter and Sophia Lampros. In 1914 they immigrated to the United States via Ellis Island from Mytillini, Greece. Setting sail for a new future...
After setting up home in Connecticut, Peter soon opened Oxford Lunch in New Britain. But Sophia had an idea to open her own restaurant; built around the classic hot dog. Together, they developed a recipe for a (now famous) meat sauce and officially opened Capitol Lunch in 1929.
Our original menu was short but sweet and mighty popular with the local factory workers: Hot dogs, soda, coffee, pies and donuts, all items just 5 cents each! Even with only one counter and twelve stools for seating, Sophia’s concept proved to be more successful than her husband's restaurant!
The newly opened capitol lunch on MAIN STREET, NEW BRITAIN, CT.
capitol lunch in 1932
...Over the next three decades the Lampros poured their focus into Capitol Lunch. Even in the face of the great depression and World War II, the years saw it become more and more popular with the locals. Ownership changed hands in 1945, to good friend, Ernest Sangeloty, and success continued to grow.
In 1957 Ernest's brother Nick Sangeloty and family friend Arthur Unaris took over the business after Ernest’s passing. They continued the legacy, adding burgers to the infamous menu. Hot dogs were now 15 cents a pop.
Our OG register making some high volume sales
Arthur Unaris and Nick Sangeloty
Our second location 1962 - 1982
In 1962, the building we called home was set to be knocked down. Not planning on leaving Main Street, we moved across the street! This second location had a grill in the window full of hot dogs for customers to see as they walked by. How much was that doggie in the window? ... Now 20 cents each.
SOME AWESOME CREWS ALONG THE WAY
By 1982, our little shop could no longer hold our loyal customers. We moved once again, this time next door, for extra room and more seating. Arthur Unaris’s son-in-law, Constantine Ververis, began learning the ropes from his farther-in-law.
MOVING NEXT DOOR TO THE OLD ADLER'S BUILDING - OUR CURRENT LOCATION.
Constantine Ververis bought the business from his farther-in-law in 2004. Continuing the legacy, Capitol Lunch became a seasoned second-generation family business, with the next generation already in the loop.
constantine ververis with his sons Gus and Arthur
Now a third generation family business, Constantine’s sons Gus and Arthur joined their father running Capitol Lunch, still at 510 Main Street. The Famous Sauce ever still popular and loyal customers grabbing their lunch. Stop by to find the neon hot dog in the window to welcome you in.
Website Design By South Main Design Studio